Thursday, April 9, 2009

Blackened Baby Food


One of the challenges of trying to raise a green baby is the amount of preparation required. Oh, I don’t dislike it at all. I think it’s totally worth it. But I would be lying if I said it wasn’t a challenge sometimes.

Mornings are hectic in any household with young children and it’s usually best if you do all your preparation for the day the night before. You know, make sure the bag is packed, the food is ready, the bottles are washed… things like that. But if you’re a procrastinator like me, your preparation usually spills over to the morning – that’s if it doesn’t take place completely then.

I make almost all of Layla’s baby food. I like the peace of mind that comes with knowing exactly what’s in my baby’s food, having made it myself. Plus even some of the "all-natural" or organic baby foods you buy in grocery stores look really overcooked and overprocessed to me. Are peas supposed to be brown? At any rate, we keep frozen and fresh organic vegetables in the house expressly for her. Making her food usually requires lightly cooking some veggies and blending them in the Magic Bullet with a little water. Okay, I have to digress for a second – whoever invented the Magic Bullet is a certified GENIUS.




I mean, they should be nominated for a Nobel Prize, seriously. This thing has made my life so much easier, even before we became parents. My husband is a kitchen gadget freak and when he initially brought it into the house I turned up my nose. But once I saw everything it could do – from smoothies to coffee grinding, and now BABY FOOD – I was sold. If you don’t have one, just get one on general principle. End digression here.

Anyway, making Layla’s food is an activity better suited for the evenings because you have to cook the veggies, blend them in the Bullet, let them cool, and then chill them in the refrigerator. But I could not get myself in gear the other night and yesterday morning I just threw on some peas and carrots, thinking I’d have time to take them off the heat a little later and blend them. Yeah… that wasn’t happening at all. I got Layla out of bed to change and nurse her, but she wanted to nurse for half an hour! Usually she’s done in no more than 15 minutes. Of course, since I have severe “mommy brain” these days and had moved onto another activity, I totally forgot I had veggies on the stove. After about thirty minutes on high heat, my sweet husband came into the kitchen, took them off the stove, looked at them, and asked, “Uh, were you still trying to use these?” The peas and carrots were stuck to the sides of the pot and burnt to a crisp! Thinking it’s a little early to introduce her to Cajun food, I had him put on a new pot of green beans and tried very hard not to kick myself.

Moral of the story: Always plan ahead. You never know what curve balls life and your baby will throw at you.

5 comments:

glamazini said...

how long have you had your MB? I've heard they breakdown over time. Hubby & I love our blend and go cups from Oster, also hear great things about the Hamilton Beach ones AND the HB single serve blenders. p.s. yoink©

Mrs. Cocoa Confections said...

Denise, I'd like to hear more about what foods you've made into baby food and the process if possible.

T. D. Anderson -- said...

Ini, C had it before we moved here actually, and we moved here almost 3 years ago. So it's been kicking for a while. Mrs. Cocoa, I'll make it a point to include some recipes and some foods that Layla has liked in a future blog entry. Let me go gather some things and create a blog entry for tomorrow on that very subject. Thanks for visiting!

Angel (LoveCalls) said...

oooh! :hyper: I don't have a bambino, but I am always looking to make my family's life a little greener. :)

crystal said...

Denise, you are a great mommy! Layla is so blessed!